Sunday, July 6, 2014

Off to the Boeremark!

After going to bed at 3:30am, Sami and I were thrilled to hear Afrikaans church-like music blasting from our neighbors room at 7am the same morning. Oh the joys of dorm life. Megan, Anna, and Devon came to pick Sami and I up at 10 to go to the Boeremark which is an Afrikaans farmer's market. It was just like a flea market, but  mainly had hand-crafted Afrikaans products, traditional food, clothing, jewelry, etc. and I absolutely loved every second of it. We purchase a couple different kinds of foods, of which none I know the name of or could possibly attempt to spell. Something I found interesting was the amount of people who spoke to me in Afrikaans. True, I was at an Afrikaans market, but I was wearing a sorority t-shirt, leggings, bean boots, and had a professional-ish camera. I might as well have had "tourist" tattooed across my forehead, but I'm glad I don't stick out like a sore thumb too much.







Minions!


Storytime: Once upon a time, my living room at home had an adorable and classic lake/boat/sailing theme because we live on the lake. My parents decided to go to Europe and bring back black and white pictures of Paris, giant framed German laws, etc, and hang them in our living room, so now it just looks silly. I saw this rhino carving and thought "ha! I should buy this and hang it in our living room to add to the chaos." Unfortunately, R800 is a little pricey for a joke. Oh well.



This didn't taste too bad, but having to look at it while eating it just made me nauseous. A local overheard our group discussing what we should try and he suggested this. After buying one, we asked him what kind of meat it's made of and he replied "it's probably best that you don't know."

This chicken on a stick was quite delicious.

This was basically pita bread with shredded cheddar cheese and apple jam. A strange combination, but still pretty good.

.Sami and I returned home and immediately went back to bed. We all planned on going to a professional rugby game that night, but Sami wasn't feeling well so it was just Sarah, Cherade, and I that attended. The game was held in a nearby stadium that actually hosted World Cup games! After watching professional rugby I can now say I am definitely a fan. For those of you not familiar with rugby, it's basically football with no pads and absolutely no rules. You could punt the ball down the field whenever you felt like, when a player hit the ground with the ball everyone would just attack him and beat it out of his hands because it was still in play, and if someone threw a pass, the other team would pick up their players like a cheerleading stunt to grab it out of the air. You never knew what was going to happen next. (Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from the game because they wouldn't allow me to take my camera inside. Not sure why.)

That night we had a repeat at Dani and Nikki's, but this time we were way less rowdy. We all made a rule that Sami and I had to attempt to speak in a South African accent and the South Africans had to speak in my accent. (Sami doesn't really have any accent. haha) Only few times in my life have I laughed that hard. We were all pretty terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment